Monday, January 08, 2007

In case you are laugh-deprived

I must first apologize for the tardiness of this post. It's been rattling around in my head for weeks, but between the Holidays and my penchant for procrastination, I'm just now getting around to writing it out. And yet, it is still not well-written.

The history: A couple of years ago I stumbled upon a page that showed some Weight Watchers Recipe Cards from 1974. They are scary. Very scary. And funny. I have loved that site so much, I've even popped back there just to get a much-needed laugh every once in a while. It just might be one of my favorite corners of the World Wide Web.

Whilst shopping on Amazon for a couple of Christmas gifts, I broke down and bought The Amazing Mackerel Pudding Plan: Classic Diet Recipe Cards from the 1970s. It really was a necessary purchase, as it helped get me that much-sought-after Free Shipping. After all, why pay shipping when you can spend a few more dollars and get a book, right? So I waited for it to come in the mail. I started reading it and realized that it might be the best ten bucks I've spent in a long, long time. If ever you've wondered why people were so crazy in the seventies, it might be because they were eating things like the Frankfurter Spectacular or maybe Marcy's "Enchilada" and washing it down with lovely drinks like the Slender Quenchers, a lovely combo of bouillon and sherry extract (extract??). And the book has even more of the spectaular debacle that was. Ew.

Previously, I had believed that there were intense socio-political issues, causing the oddness of that decade. But now I know that it is all Weight Watchers' fault.

No comments: