Friday, April 06, 2007

The pain is enough to make a shy, bald Buddhist reflect and plan a mass murder

My apologies to The Smiths for that. But I burned some fingers today, and the pain is really indescribable. I was busy making pot roast for dinner, and fuming about my recent phone call to Verizon's Customer "Service" department (I'll save you the details, because I know most of you have been through that). I had just completed the initial cooking of the roast at 450 degrees, poured the gravy mix in, and was scraping some of the fond off the bottom of the pan. All of a sudden, my left hand decided to grab the searing hot 450-degree pan, scorching my thumb and three fingers. I really don't know why my hand did that. Surely my brain would not have told it to grab the hot pan right? Anyway, I immediately ran to the sink and ran cold water over it, the applied a cold pack to it for a while.

I have now removed said cold pack, knowing that I don't want to add frostbite to today's list of mishaps. So now the pure unadulterated pain comes. I've burned myself cooking before, but this time I basically got a second degree burn on my thumb print. The other fingers hurt, but the pain on my poor widdle thumb is really something else. And I'm allergic to ibuprofen.

As I am not a shy bald Buddhist, I have found that cursing under my breath is doing an okay job of keeping the murderous thoughts away. Now I have to get back to working here at my computer, one handed. I think that is a true representation of the idiom "to add insult to injury."

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

how's that hand healing? All that talk about a pot roast and dh got me all the fixins for a leg of lamb and I kept thinking of you and you burn. Thankfully, my cooking endeavor went off without a hitch! Hope your's is better!